Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Glitch Art

Hello, I had another blog over at stephendelrose.blogger.com. But Google suspended my email address for some stupid reason, so here I am!

Ever since I got my Social Network Soundtrack vinyl, I have been very interested in glitch-style artwork. Rob Sheridan art director of nearly all of Trent Reznor's projects created the artwork for the album by opening up stills from the movie in text-editors, and pasting/removing random data from them. The results were brilliant.

In the past I had tried my hand at glitching images this way, but never really experimented enough to actually get something interesting. Here are some results I got recently:

Pasted random album artwork and promo photos of the artist Gold Panda together and saved it as a PSD. I soon realized that layers from the PSD could be manipulated through the text editing software. (I have no affiliation with this artist, it is simply fan work) 

This is a photo I took on my Canon 50D at an airsoft game that my friend was competing in. Once again I saved the image as a PSD. However, this time I got a strange result that seemed to copy a single color channel of the image and move it around.

This is a album cover I made for an artist in my music collection called iamamiwhoami. For this I manipulated a JPEG file in a text-editor. The result was yet again another bizarre meld of colors and digital error. (I have no affiliation with this artist, it is simply fan work) 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Stephen! How did you manage to edit the text content?
Do you improvise copying and cutting the code or?

Stephen said...

It was a lot of messing around. Copy/pasting code, and just plain old text. I would copy paste just random things. Its all trial and error, scroll down the document when its open in a text editor, delete stuff, paste stuff, save it, open image, if it looks good keep it, if it looks bad undo the stuff to the document and start editing again!

Post a Comment